Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Book Meme

Helen and Cathy tagged me, so here goes. Keep in mind that I shape-read extremely quickly and will read anything with a happy ending (in other words, I have undiscriminating taste and adore romance). I used to read mostly thrillers and technical books, but cancer has a way of adding that aspect to a person's life already so I balance the angst with fluff. A huge portion of my physical therapy for my orb is to read, so I do. They know me well at the local library.

[1] Name five of your [many] favorite books. (All romances, just for fun.)
Lass Small's An Obsolete Man, Julia Quinn's Minx, Elizabeth Mansfield's A Marriage of Inconvenience, Jan Hudson's Fly with Me, Suzanne Enoch's England's Perfect Hero.

[2] What was the last book you bought?
Talk Nerdy to Me, by Vicki Lewis Thompson, and yes, I own her entire nerd series. The ending on this one was a bit weak, but I had a good laugh over the nerdspeak.

[3] What was the last book you read?
I read an average of a book per day, often three, so I'm looking at a few grocery bags full of books and wondering what I just returned to the library. A random selection from the top of one bag: The Winter Duke by Louise Bergin, Kiss Me Annabel by wonderful Eloisa James, and Elizabeth Boyle's This Rake of Mine.

As I was knitting Morgan, DH read aloud (with glee) from Alan Douglas' Tube Testers and Classic Electronic Test Gear; he can make anything sound good. DD's been reading aloud from a novel she picked up at Hein & Co. on vacation, The Company, by Robert Littell. I've been skimming Marilyn van Keppel's translation of Three-Cornered & Long Shawls by Sigridur Halldorsdottir.

[4] List five books or authors that have been particularly meaningful to you (in no particular order).
Elizabeth Bevarly's books got me through the ocular melanoma, kept me laughing through the pain and believing in tangible reality. I have her complete works and think the world of her as a person.
Gene Logsdon's Practical Skills saved my life numerous times on the farm in Montana.
Michael Pearson's Traditional Knitting got me back into designing in my 20's during a spell of hammock-rest in Santa Cruz.

Gretel Erlich's The Solace of Open Spaces helped me cope with loss and fear during some hard years.
When we were young, my brother bought me Cleary's The Mouse and the Motorcycle and taught me all the hard words. He's still and ever an excellent guy.

[5] Name some books you’ve been dying to read but just haven’t yet.
All the latest titles by my favorite authors? A bunch of the Squawkers (see sidebar) have new titles I have yet to buy. I've actually been on a re-reading binge lately, going through all of Liz Bevarly's books. Today I have a headache and am craving a Sandra Hill. Will have to dig through the shelves to find one of her Vikings I think.

[6] Tag people.
Annie, have you done this yet (yes, I've read your book page)? Elizabeth? (What is the 50 book challenge?) Leslie?